DISTURBIA

Monday, February 28, 2011

A few days ago I heard the city Houston mentioned on the news. It caught my attention because my youngest sister lives there with her husband. I turned to the TV in time to see a day care center ablaze and the report of three toddlers dying in the fire.

I hear horrible news reports every day, so this was nothing new, but what stuck with me was the disturbing image I saw next. It was a toddler lying on the pavement in a diaper receiving CPR from a firefighter. It's one thing to watch Grey's Anatomy and another to see an infant's anatomy on the verge of death. 

All of a sudden I envisioned the Commander lying there on the ground and tears welled up in my eyes. I'm not one to cry at the drop of a hat so I was surprised by my reaction. I found myself feeling upset that the mother of this child was going to see her baby on the news. My dreams that night wandered to the land of Disturbia where fires abound and my children are in danger (One side effect of an over active imagination.). 

After the earthquakes in Haiti
(This is the least disturbing image I could find. I thought
I would spare you.).
Don't get me wrong. I believe seeing challenging images can bring reality to we the privileged Americans. Photographs from the devastation in Haiti, clips of Africa's impoverished parent less children, and shots of Egypt's riots. These pictures bring critical awareness to the needs of the human family around the globe. Without them those of us who can help wouldn't be moved to move. 

But, what good did the image of this Houston child do? Am I crazy for feeling disturbed? I guess in a way I'm glad it affected me. Maybe it means I'm not completely desensitized from a life of graphic images.

I sure hope this lack of image editing moved someone to give support to those mourning Houston families and encouraged others to hug their babies tighter. I know I've been hugging mine more. 

Okay, now that I've shared what's been on my mind, maybe these thoughts can leave my dreams (Sorry if they enter yours!). 

On a lighter note, my daughter's school recently won a reading contest. The prize is that a Jazz player will come to her school on Wednesday and read to the students. My daughter is very excited about this and I asked her if she knew what a "Jazz player" was. She said, "No, but I hear they are tall." Sassafras has now been thoroughly schooled in what the NBA is. 

The Commander recently found out that he too gets to sit amidst the Jazz giant. Yay (That "Yay" stems from my excitement that the Commander won't pout with jealousy more than excitement over a pro baller.)!

Now I'm off to muster up the motivation to clean. My friend Brooke recently posted her cleaning schedule on her blog (click here) and I'm going to print it out and try to follow it in my home. She swears by it and her house is ALWAYS perfect. Wish me luck!

Share/Bookmark

3 comments:

  1. I just recreated a whole new cleaning chart, I have been wanting to do it, and have not had the motivation. But now I am on a roll to. I guess nesting kicked in, FINALLY... I also got the make up brush today... Thanks. I know I am going to love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am just like that; whenever I see some horrible image of hurt or dying children all I can picture is my own. I've gotten to where I HATE movie or tv scenes with anything sad that has to do with kids because it inevitably makes me picture my own kids in that same situation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ngoài việc gây mất thẩm mỹ, mụn cóc bàn chân còn gây ra một số triệu chứng khác. Khi phát triển to hoặc nằm ở những vị trí bị đè ép khi đi bộ hay chạy (gót chân, đầu ngón chân cái…), chúng sẽ gây đau hay tạo cảm giác vướng cộm http://dakhoaaua.vn/mun-coc-la-gi-va-cach-dieu-tri-mun-coc-o-chan-1704.html/
    Mụn cóc bàn chân, tổn thương cơ bản là một điểm dầy sừng hình tròn sùi vào sâu, đau nhất là khi vận động hoặc đụng chạm vào, thường đơn độc hoặc có một vài tổn thương đơn lẻ. Đây là loại tổn thương thường gặp. http://dakhoaaua.vn/nguyen-nhan-bi-mun-coc-va-cach-dieu-tri-mun-coc-1705.html/
    Đôi khi mụn cóc tái phát nhanh do các mụn mẹ đã gieo rắc virus và tạo các mụn con ở những vùng da xung quanh trước khi chúng được điều trị http://dakhoaaua.vn/cach-tri-mun-coc-o-long-ban-chan-an-toan-hieu-qua-1706.html/
    Cũng giống như mụn cóc thông thường, trong điều trị mụn cóc bàn chân có thể áp dụng một trong các phương pháp sau: ... Laser: Đây là phương pháp điều trị đắt tiền, áp dụng với các mụn cóc to, kháng trị, mụn cóc sinh dục, mụn cóc lòng bàn .. http://dakhoaaua.vn/nhan-biet-mun-coc-o-chan-va-cach-dieu-tri-1708.html/

    ReplyDelete

Theme created by PIXELZINE