YOU ARE HORRID!

Monday, February 7, 2011

   A sick baby boss has made things quite challenging the past few days. His excessive screaming has taken it's toll on my hearing and my nerves. But, I forgot to consider how it may be affecting the other kids. Sassafras and the Hubby have limited exposure because of work and school, but the Commander gets to hear it, like a bullhorn in the face, all day.
  Today I put baby boss down for a minute and over heard the Commander say, "Jonas, you are HORRID!". I laughed out loud and said, "Campbell, do you know what horrid means?" He replied, "Yes, and Jonas has been horrid." "You think Jonas is awful? horrible?" I asked. "Well, sort of," he shrugged sheepishly. 
   To be honest, Jonas has been horrid, has made all of us feel horrid, and I'm sure he feels horrid too. Kids can really be horrid (though unintentionally) sometimes. It got me thinking about the ways I cope with this horridiousness (Yes, I'm aware that is not a word, but it's my blog and I'll make up words if I want to:). 
   
WAYS I DEAL WITH HORRIDIOUSNESS

1) I throw throw pillows at my kids. Yes, you read that right. The throwing of pillows can occur under a number of circumstances. If I'm holding the baby boss and need help from one of the other kids, but they are otherwise occupied (ahem, the TV), I throw a pillow at them. Also, pillows have been known to fly when the kids are fighting or if I'm just plain bored. Before you call Children and Family Services on me, please know that I have perfected the launching of these pillows. I miss all vital regions including the head. 

2) I wear ear plugs. A side effect of anxiety is that I will wake up to the smallest noise and not be able to fall back asleep for the rest of the night. So, I sleep with a fan on high and my pink squishy ear plugs firmly in place. It took dedicated training to get used to the feel of something in my ears, but I persevered and now can't live without them. 

3) Scissors, glue sticks, and magazines. If my older kids are being horrid, I give them these three items. They think they are on an important mission to create a collage of epic importance. I express how excited I am to see their final creations as artistic geniuses. Really, I could care less if they eat the paper. Peace is what I seek.

4) Dance Dance Dance. I turn on music and have my kids dance like maniacs. It is quite hilarious. Bonus: baby boss likes to watch them. Triple whammy! All kids entertained at the same time. Downside: If I dance with them, I realize my evolution to big time nerd is quickly progressing.

Feel free to use the above ideas when your little angels (or significant others) are being horrid devils. Also feel free to share your ways of coping with horridiousness. I promise to test them and report back. 

PS- I really do love my kids:). They are amazing and very rarely horrid.

Share/Bookmark

3 comments:

  1. I too am an ear plug wearer! Can't sleep without them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha! I am totally going to use the pillow throwing on my kids! Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know you’re trying to relate your daily dilemmas with kids here, but I couldn’t help but smile! Your sense of humor is just awesome, Jody. I’ll take note of these points here, especially the part on ear plugs. I’m a light sleeper, so I’m sure if I have kids someday, these will certainly come in handy. How’s baby boss and the other kids now?

    Darren Mcandrews

    ReplyDelete

Theme created by PIXELZINE