CHA CHA CHA CHIA

Monday, March 28, 2011

On Saturday, my beautiful mother-in-law mixed up a health food concoction for me to chug.

A decade ago I was initiated into the Long family via my first mystery drink. Some of the hubby's family members and I were standing around in my in-law's kitchen when I got dared to try the "green stuff." It was a powder mixed with water that my mother-in-law, Ann, drank every day. Not one to back down from a dare, I said, "sure." Everyone snickered as I was handed the glass. Some said, "Drink it fast. It's best to get it over with." Others said, "No, go slow and hold your nose." I drank it fast and held my nose, but it didn't help. That stuff was crazy nasty. Not only did it taste horrible, but it burned going down my throat. Supposedly it had amazing health benefits.

Over the years I've tried many of my mother-in-law's health drinks and foods. The "green stuff," wheat grass juice from her home grown supply, Spirulina (An ingredient in fish food. It tastes as bad as it smells.), and this Saturday I tried chia seed. Yup, the same seed used to create those pointless, yet oddly adorable Chia Pets.

First, Ann filled a tea cup with water then added two tablespoons of chia seed and stirred.



We waited approximately two minutes for the chia seeds to expand a little. Then those tiny buggers started sticking together via some gelatinous goo. My mother-in-law said to me, "Okay. It's ready. You can drink it now." I nervously put the cup to my lips and started to drink.



It was actually more of a slurp than a drink, because it was like a grainy slime at this point.

The neutral earthy taste of the chia seeds wasn't a problem. But the slimy texture left me fairly certain of what it's like to swallow a sticky mass of frog eggs.

So, why do I subject myself to this healthy torture? Is my mother-in-law a tree hugging bully who shoves seeds, grass, and fish food down my throat? No. She's my secret one stop shop for a free shot of healthy. It's a way to punish and redeem myself for the bad health decisions I made in a day.

Though I endure the consumption of frog egg textured chia seeds, I leave with a healthy skip in my step.

When I notified my mother-in-law I would be blogging about her and the all mighty chia seed, she sent me some information. Here is why it was worth it for me to force down cha, cha, cha, chia.

1. Chia is the number one source of Omega 3 fatty acids in the plant form, A-linolenic acid (ALA).

2. Omega 3 fatty acids help the heart and circulation. The omega 3s break up the lipids which cause blood clots, varicose veins, high blood pressure, stroke, heart attacks, cardiac arrhythmias, and
high triglycerides.

3. Omega 3 fatty acids cause significant protection against cancer.

4. Omega 3s prevent or reverse arthritis and Parkinson's.

5. Omega 3s promote brain health, relieving depression and anxiety, ADD and memory loss. Some
promising studies show help for bi-polar and schizophrenia.

6. Omega 3s increase immunity.

7. Omega 3s help prevent age related blindness.

8. Omega 3's are correlated to lower waist circumference and less obesity.

9. Chia absorbs ten times its volume in water. This hydrophilic quality helps the body hydrate.
Hydrating is essential for athletes.

10. Chia coats the stomach relieving gas and gerd.

11. Chia slows the blood sugar spike a benefit for diabetics.

12. Chia provides a full feeling. This natural appetite suppressant helps weight loss.

13. Chia supplies 3 times more antioxidants than blueberries. Blueberries topped the list for high
antioxidants until chia was studied. Antioxidants slow free radicals that cause aging and cancer.

14. The chia gel lines the intestine and pulls out toxins.

15. No need to buy organic, because chia is naturally bug resistant.

16. High fiber in chia helps digestion and elimination.

17. Chia supplies a complete protein.

18. Chia supplies 5 times more calcium than milk. It also supplies the other minerals needed for bone
health including boron and magnesium.

19. Chia supplies 2 times more potassium than bananas. These natural electrolyte minerals make it
better than Gatorade for athletes.

20. The magnesium in chia helps heart rhythm, bones, blood sugar, chronic fatigue, emotional
balance, and restless leg syndrome.

21. Folic acid in chia promotes a healthy pregnancy, brain function, cancer prevention, intestinal
health, circulation, and teeth and gums.

22. The naturally occurring iron in chia helps the oxygen carrying capacity of the blood.

23. If you lived on food storage basics, you would suffer from vitamin C deficiency. Add plenty of
chia to your storage basics because it supplies 7 times more vitamin C than an orange.

You are so psyched to go buy chia seeds now, aren't you? Okay, okay, so maybe not, but maybe you are psyched to go buy this beautiful piece of chia art.

Behold the Obama Chia Pet... The commercial for this puppy really cracks me up.


Um, maybe it's not such a good idea to write my blog at night when I'm tired and loopy. Sweet dreams all!
Share/Bookmark

5 comments:

  1. I can not believe there is an Obama chia pet- too funny!! That is really interesting about the benefits of chia but I would be terrified to try that drink. Is there a way to bake it in something - like chia bread maybe??

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post! I remember going to Ann's house and she always had something to drink. My sister Jane Ellen isn't as bad as Ann, but is really into all this healthy stuff too. I'm sure they will both live to be 100!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL at this post!! I love my crazy, healthy, beautiful mom! She's made me gag down my fair share of odd concoctions, too. She always seems to be one step ahead of the media when it comes to healthy things. I'd be willing to bet that within the next 6 months we'll be hearing a lot about chia and it's benefits. I don't know how she learns all this stuff.
    I'm coming down for spring break with the kids this week and I'm sure I'll be coerced into drinking lots of slimy frog eggs--for my own good of course. :)
    btw Jody, I'm hoping to plan a few get-togethers while we're there. Saturday conference being one of them- if you guys aren't already going somewhere else. See ya soon! Love ya, Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  4. So are we going to be seeing bags of chia seed in our kitchen? Just want to know if I should start hoarding candy-bars or not.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Who knew chia pets were so healthy! I wish I had someone making me health drinks! (I don't know that I'd have the nerve to make myself do it alone.)

    ReplyDelete

Theme created by PIXELZINE