I HAVE AN ITCH

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Every once in a while I get a metaphoric itch that I can't quite reach. Lately, I've been itching to release my ambitious side. I have the urge to start a big successful career and wonder what I would be doing if I weren't a domestic diva. This current "itch" is comparable to the itch you get in the dead center of your back that you can't get to without an arm extending object.

When I graduated with a degree in Public Relations and Corporate Communications and a minor in Art History, I had the intention of doing PR for an art museum. Though this hasn't happened...yet, I've used my education in a variety of ways to benefit my family. I also find comfort in knowing I can expand upon and utilize this education (Can you tell I'm giving myself a pep talk to scratch a little?).

When I start "itching" like this, I have one of two choices. 1) Scratch it by starting a career. or 2) Be patient until it goes away knowing I can scratch it some day. This is not a hard choice for me. I choose #2, because I know I have a lot of years ahead of me to work, but very few with my children while they are so young.

My mother friends are as varied in their lifestyles as they are in physical features. Some are stay at home moms while others work full time. Some work from home, while others work part time. Many even have their own blogs (wink).

I imagine that, regardless of our different circumstances, we all get restless for change at some point or another. A working mother will get a giant itch to be home with her babies, while a work at home mom desires her own office space. It is human nature to crave a new experience and to progress.

I guess the important thing is to ask yourself if you are currently making the right decisions in your life. If so, the itch is worth ignoring until it goes away or subduing through distraction.

Thankfully, I know what is best for me and my family and feel very secure in my decisions. But, I also know I have to satisfy my ambitious side some how. Hmmm, there are any  number of projects I could tackle. Does anyone want a volunteer or an intern once a week? This could get interesting.

In addition to my above itch issues, I've been itching to craft. This is one need I can fulfill and will share some ideas with you. Thankfully, I can simply link you to some talented fellow bloggers.

Image from My Domestic Design
1) The knotted head band tutorial. I got this link from my blogger buddy at My Domestic Design. I love to crochet, but many of the projects are wintry. So, I love that this headband is super easy and good for spring and summer.

Image from Trey and Lucy
2) The creator of the above head band tutorial and author of the blog You Seriously Made that!? also has 11 projects for 2011 that have made me want to get my craft on. Check out the super easy lace earrings!! All you have to do is know how to use a pair of scissors.

Hope you all find the right thing to scratch your itch and are left blissfully satisfied.
Share/Bookmark

2 comments:

  1. Oh. I always have itches. Right now I am about to pop but just signed up for nashville's photography club. My weaknesses are scrapbooking and photography. Love it. So yeah every once in a while I have to do some of it. It also makes me a better person, mother, wife. Hope you have some fun crafting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing, Jody! ;)

    ReplyDelete

Theme created by PIXELZINE