1, 2, 3...

Monday, April 11, 2011

1). Last night I was watching an episode of the BBC series called Lark Rise To Candleford. In the episode, one of the characters, Twister (an elderly man), kept complaining over and over about losing his ability to read due to old age. Here is a clip (watch from second 25 to approximately 1 minute 25 seconds).

His wife says, "God takes things away from us for His own good reasons. Our task is to seek the purpose." She later goes on to emphasize the importance of tending others during our own times of challenge and states, "It might take your mind from your own woes."

I hear so many people saying, "If there is a God, then why do all these tragedies happen and why do so many people suffer?" The answer to those questions would require a lengthy response so, let me just say that without suffering, we would not grow and learn.

It's easy, when we are suffering, to only focus on the pain and not ask, "What am I supposed to learn from this?" Sometimes the answers are clear and sometimes it's not until much later that the purpose is revealed.

With Mark out of town I was hoping the baby boss would sleep well for me last night. But, he woke up over and over. At around seven a.m. baby boss wanted to wake up and play. I mentally gave myself a pep talk and tried to over come my frustration and weariness. I found myself thinking of the above episode and asked myself what I was supposed to learn from a sleepless night.

I held baby boss and thought about how much patience I've learned since becoming a mother. I know I'm supposed to learn more patience and recognize that I am strong enough to endure. I also thought about how much I will have to do on my own when the hubby starts medical school and then residency. I'm learning that I can do it.

I waited an hour and finally the babe went back to sleep. I crawled back in bed to get another hour or two of rest.

As the kids and I ventured out later in the day to run errands, we ran into a neighbor and her young daughter. She hinted at the need for a babysitter one day this week and the words, "Tending others...might take your mind from your own woes," came to mind. I told her to call if she needed my help.

I love the quote by Ezra Taft Benson, "To serve others willingly and unselfishly should be one of our greatest virtues. It is not even a matter of choice. It is an obligation, a sacred command. …"

There have been quite a few times I've lacked insight into my challenges, but I can't think of one that hasn't made me stronger and taught me that, "This too shall pass...eventually:)."

Okay, moving on...


(SPOILER ALERT! If you haven't yet read Prayers for Sale, but plan to, don't continue reading. Just skip to #3 and come back to this portion at a later time:)


2). I am going to share some short thoughts on Prayers for Sale by Sandra Dallas (Remember, this is now the easiest book club ever!). This is the first DHBH book club book.

I learned from this book that I definitely wasn't meant to live in 1936 in a remote Colorado mining town like Middle Swan. Holy hardship! The women in this book are tough as nails and hard working. 

When I was done reading this book I wanted to clean my home from top to bottom, pick berries in the mountains, learn to can my own preserves, be a better friend, and quilt something.

One of the characters that stuck with me the most was Maudie. Abused in every way by her husband. I wanted to strangle him and take care of her. One of the great twists in this book is that Hennie's daughter Mae is actually Maude's daughter. 

Of course, one of the best twists is the ending. Hennie is an amazing and strong person, but even she carried around anger for another for the majority of her life. The message in the end that forgiveness frees both the granter and grantee is one I agree with. 

The book teaches the value of friendship, forgiveness, wisdom from our elders, hard work, and love.

What did you think about the book?              

Lastly...

3). My friend Brooke over at Inside-Out Design awarded me the One Lovely Blog Award (Thanks Brooke). 


Brooke is a great friend of mine. We got to know each other while I lived in Florida. She has an amazing knack for interior design and has the cleanest house around. I want to be just like her:).

Okay, so the rules of this award are that I list seven things about myself. Since I'm pretty much an open book it may be hard to think of seven things you don't already know about me, but I'll give it a try:). 

1. My minor is in Art history. I love all things artsy!
2. I can tell a car's make (and often it's model) just by the shape of it's head lights at night time.
3. I love BBC shows like the series Lark Rise To Candleford. My husband thinks they are so boring, but I love them.
4. I LOVE accessories! Bracelets, scarves, purses, jewelry, shoes. You name it.
5. My favorite breakfast is oatmeal with honey, almond milk, cinnamon, and cut up bananas.
6. I have an extremely silly sense of humor.
7. I love people. If I don't like you, you've got issues:).

I'm now passing this award on to Becky at My Domestic Design. Becky is kind and talented in so many ways. Check her out. 


                                                                                                

Share/Bookmark

2 comments:

  1. I love "Lark Rise," too. And so does Duncan, which is a big bonus. Have you seen "Downton Abbey"? A must-see.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment is from my friend Julie:

    Hennie was such a courageous woman. I was distraught reading about what happened to her own baby. I couldn't help but think of the rage I would have in my heart if I had to go through a similar situation.

    Instead of seeking revenge, Hennie was able to move on and positively impact many other people. Remarkable!

    ReplyDelete

Theme created by PIXELZINE