NOSTALGIA

Monday, April 4, 2011

Nostalgia is an interesting thing. I can predict certain situations and places that will inevitably evoke nostalgic feelings, but sometimes those warm fuzzy emotions surprise me.

My parents still live in the house I was raised in. Unlike my kids, I didn't move until I left for college. So, my childhood home is filled with memories at every turn, as is the community. As soon as I come "home" the familiar smells, sounds, lighting, and pictures hanging will bring a sense of comfort. As I drive up the winding road that leads to my parent's rural Indiana dwelling, my mind immediately remembers how to maneuver each turn. The beautiful rolling hills bring an unintentional smile to my face.

Occasionally, I get some bonus nostalgia that takes me by surprise. A few subtle, quiet moments that bring me a sense of peace.

Now that the hustle and bustle of my sister's wedding has died down, I'm the last visitor remaining at my parent's house. Mom and dad were at work this morning, which left things very quiet. I went to make baby boss a bottle and peaked out the back door window. Birds of all kinds were scattered across the back lawn feasting on the remains of my dad's pet bird's dinner. The cardinal was my favorite and I watched it for a few minutes. A wave of nostalgic comfort passed over me as I remembered all the times growing up I could see cardinals in the tree outside my bed room window.

A couple of evenings ago I was washing dishes for my mom and peered out the small window over the sink. As the sun set, the sky filled with amazing orange and pink hues. The Rocky Mountains, where I live now, are a dramatic view to wake up to each day, but I found this sunset equally impressive. The mountains would have blocked this view lying so close to the horizon. I once again felt peace.

I also find nostalgia in the interactions between and from my parents. My mom practically screaming as she talks to my hard of hearing dad; My mom and dad striving to figure out how to print an article from the computer; My dad passing down his recently read books to me; My mom's inability to pull herself away from a suspenseful TV show; The love my parents show one another; Me over hearing the whisper of my parents nightly prayer together.

I find that the most nostalgic moments are small things. It occurs to me that it's all of the many little things each day that add up to a joyful life and nostalgia is a reminder of the many blessings we've had so far.
Share/Bookmark

2 comments:

  1. Hey Jo, the peace comes from the love and security that Father has given our family and home. By the way your mom never screams she just increases her volume a bit.

    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweet childhood you had. I've never wanted to move to Indiana...but now I'm considering! Love it. I'm so glad they still live there so you can go home and experience that. So neat! I hope my kids can say similar things one day.

    ReplyDelete

Theme created by PIXELZINE