BOOYAH DADDY!

Thursday, May 5, 2011

I've found my productive groove and, finally, I'm getting things done around this joint. I'm currently enjoying a "go-getter" phase during which I feel positive, energetic, and motivated. This is a very good thing, but let me share with you some interesting thoughts that enter my mind throughout such a phase.

"I wonder how long I will be able to keep up this positive momentum?"; "When will my next bout of depression ruin this productive time?"; "Will this be the time I actually stick with this goal?"

These are thoughts that float around in my subconscious. I often don't even realize they are there. But, as subtle as they are, they are powerful and consistent.

Last night, after a challenging up hill run, I thought to myself, "That felt so good! Why don't I do this more often?" But, creeping in behind those thoughts, my brain subtly inserted things like, "Jody, you always start out doing really well, but then stop. When are you going to quit this time?" I recognized those thoughts creeping in and was able to see them for what they were. Defeating.

It's easy to be defeated when you've had bouts of depression on and off. Or, even if you don't have depression, everyone struggles with a goal they've tried over and over to accomplish.

I will often be very successful with a goal for a while and then something happens to interrupt this positive period. I'll have sleepless nights with the baby, which triggers depression, which creates irritability and lack of motivation, which then establishes a negative cycle.

This has happened so many times that I've come to expect interruptions to my productivity. But, this in and of itself, is a habit I need to break. I need to stop anticipating that I will fail. So, whenever that defeating mind set tries to take over, I've been reminding myself of the many times in the past I've met my goals. And I didn't meet those goals on the first try. I failed many times before I succeeded. Each failure taught me something about myself and what I needed to do differently on the next try.

Remember that. What you may call a failure is really just a lesson learned bringing you one step closer to what you want out of life. Keep trying.

I've been trying really hard lately to drag myself from the depths of this cavernous rut I've been in. I referred back to the ever important personal mantra I have, "Do what you want to do least. It is probably what you need to do most." What I've wanted to do least lately is exercise, eat right, clean, and pack.

I've been accomplishing the above by creating small goals for myself like, pack three boxes. Once I get started, I usually far surpass the goal.

I've been motivating myself to work out by wearing the same uniform every day. I wake up, put on my work out clothes, and can't take them off until I work out. This may not work for everyone, but if I have my comfy work out shoes laced, I want to go run, or walk, or whatever. It works for me. I am currently in my uniform as we speak blog.

Working out then triggers my desire to eat healthy foods and take my vitamins and also grants me deeper sleep. So, now I find myself in a positive cycle. Sleep well, have more energy, exercise, eat right, feel cheerful, be a better mom and wife, rinse and repeat.

This time, instead of asking myself when this good time will end I'm asking what I can do to keep it going. I hope you can find the strength to do one thing today that you don't want to do, but know you need to. Good luck!

PS- Don't forget to go to the MOTHER'S DAY GIVE AWAY post and leave a comment to win. I will announce the winner on Mother's day.
Share/Bookmark

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad to know that you're having a potive view on what's happening to you right now Jody. I myself feel the same way sometimes and when I think that I cannot go on anymore my mind tells me to push through. So I keep going. That is exactly how I do my living. :)

    Maybe if you have the time you can check out this site: www.calmclinic.com and go through there since they can give you the good lot of advises from stress, anxiety and depression. I'm really happy to know that you're picking things up within yourself. Don't worry, I know that you can keep things up just like this: better and better everyday.

    ReplyDelete

Theme created by PIXELZINE