REMEMBER, REMEMBER...

Sunday, May 22, 2011

I blinked and it's Sunday! I have been soooo busy that time has flown by at warp speed. I now have only two weeks until I move and it's freaking me out a bit. My husband is always saying, "We have a tiny apartment. It's not going to take long to pack it all up." I usually reply with a giant (some what crazy) laugh. I don't care how big or small your home is, you can accumulate a ton of crap!

But still, amidst all the packing of the crappage, I occasionally have a thought having to do with something other than moving.

A couple of nights ago, I flipped onto my left side to sleep and my left hip started to ache a little. I instantly thought about how horribly my left hip (For those of you who don't know, sleeping on your side is best for circulation to the baby while pregnant.) hurt when I was pregnant with baby boss. I would fall asleep on my left hip and wake up a half hour later with pain shooting through that whole side of my body. I can remember being pregnant and thinking, "When is this going to end? When will I sleep again? I can't take this pain any more!"

Two nights ago, there I was, feeling that tiny ache and remembering how much worse it had been during my last pregnancy. The comparison made me so grateful that I wasn't experiencing that extreme pain any more.

The thought then entered my mind, "In the midst of a trial you want so much for the pain (physical or emotional) to go away, but when it does, you forget to be grateful."

My hip pain got so much better, but I never thought, "Gee, I'm so glad that pain is gone!" I just subconsciously moved on to another complaint. "I'm not getting enough sleep"; "I can't wait until the baby stops crying so much!"; and so on...

There is always another trial or complaint to take the place of a trial that's passed. But, it's really important to bet thankful when a hard time is gone.

Today, Instead of complaining that our family has years of medical school to endure, I need to remember all the schooling we've already gotten through. Instead of complaining about being tired, I'm recalling just a few months ago when I was getting a lot less sleep.

Remembering the many things we've gotten through in our lives is one of the best things we can do to obtain strength and hope for the future. It also helps me be more positive in the present.
Share/Bookmark

1 comment:

  1. This is so true Jody, thanks for reminding me. Sometimes I think how hard life is getting, but I will take all the hard times with my children times 10, so that I don't have to go through yet another loss. THANK YOU for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete

Theme created by PIXELZINE