TORCH IT!

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

I want to just light a match and torch my belongings not yet boxed for our move. A few months ago I started mentally taking inventory of our things (what to keep and not keep). Then, with a month to go, my keep list got a lot smaller as I realized the amount of stuff we had. Now, less than a week from moving, I really want to get rid of everything just to avoid any more packing. I just want to blink and have it all done.

Honestly, I'm not sure how it's all going to come together in time. The more I pack, organize, and clean the more things I dig up that need to be dealt with. And the more I have to do, the more tired a feel.

I have so many wonderful people asking me how they can help. I wish I could take them up on their offers of service, but it's a lot of little things that I need to do myself (No, wait...I thought of something. They can make dinner for my family. Yup, next time someone asks what they can do...that will be my answer).

Yesterday, I sat and did five cross word puzzles. I started with one, finished it, looked at the packing I needed to do, and did another one. "Just one more and then I will get some things done," I kept telling myself. I really wasn't even all that interested in doing crossword puzzles (It's not like they're jam packed with excitement.), but it sounded so much better than my dreaded to do list.


Maybe Hell is like the moving process...on steroids. Yeah, I'm pretty sure it is (plus morning sickness). 

This hellish process is of course made more difficult by three kids. I can't just say, "Kids, stop needing me! I'm busy packing things!" They still need love, attention, nourishment, treats and costumes for end of the school year programs, etc. Those aren't things someone else can do. They need me. 

No one can be here to help with my kids in the middle of the night to ensure I get a good night's rest. And Sassafras didn't get the memo to not sleep walk less than a week from moving day (She's fired!). 

Last night, Sassafras came into our bedroom mumbling, "I need... I need...something...need...something." These words were combined with a whole lot of gibberish. I kept asking her what was wrong, but she was asleep so she couldn't respond.

I find that when kids wake up in the middle of the night confused or upset, they often need to go to the bathroom. So, this is where we went. Sure enough, she peed more than Niagara Falls. 

Since I had to be up anyway, I decided to entertain myself by asking my sleep walking daughter some questions while she washed her hands. "Do you feel better?" She nods yes, with a goofy grin on her sleeping face. "Are you sleeping?" Another goofy nod in the affirmative. "Do you have any clue what I'm saying right now?" She responds with an identical nod and grin. It was really funny and kind of creepy. 

After convincing my zombie daughter that there was no need to wash her hands three times, I directed her back to bed. Now I find myself in a similar zombie like state from lack of sleep. I think I can, I think I can...

Some how I will find a way to get it all done and years from now I will hardly remember the difficulties of this move. But for now, I'm still tempted to torch it all.

Share/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment

Theme created by PIXELZINE