WHISTLING NOSTRILS IN THE NIGHT

Saturday, July 9, 2011

Funny thing about good phases...they're just that...phases (Ha, ha, ha...crazy cackle).

I've been away for a long time and quite flaky with my blog posts, haven't I? So sorry my dear friends. I've missed typing at you, but life got in the way and threw a not so good phase at me.

After our big move to Erie, PA and settling in a bit, we drove to Indiana to visit my parents and sisters (and my new preemie twin nieces:). This past week was to be our "vacation." Our time together relaxing with extended family before experiencing the rigors of medical school. Sounds nice and easy, right? Well, not so much...

It's as if there's been some evil force of nature against me since the morning of our drive to Indiana. I was tired, unorganized, exhausted, and grumpy that day. In fact, baby boss and I were having a contest to see who could be the grumpiest. He and I both fussed and whined the entire six hour drive. Unfortunately, this was a foreshadow of the week to come.

Over the past week, I've had a weird fatiguing sickness and head cold, the Commander's had a chest cold, baby boss has a runny nose, the Hubby has had a migraine, and now Sassafras is stuffy. This has made for a veritable symphony of whistling nostrils in the night (It's seriously impressive). Not to mention the coughing, sneezing, wheezing, snoring, and crying, resulting in zero sleep for anyone.

One day, despite my weariness, I wanted to go to lunch with my mom and sister. We made it to the restaurant where my sister got sick (I mean...come on!). We drove the poor girl home and I gave up on trying to do anything. Overwhelmed by my lack of sleep, I wasn't thinking rationally anymore. I laid on the couch and started crying.

"I don't know why I try to do anything!" I sobbed. "I just want to enjoy this time, but everything keeps going wrong! I just want to feel normal," I continued.

My head felt all foggy and I was really depressed. I'm telling you, my brain does not function normally when sleep deprived. IT'S NOT PRETTY!

My mom kept telling me to go lay down and take a nap and that everything would be fine. Of course, the nap helped, but fatigue followed me over the next couple of days. It's basically been a blur of sickness and exhaustion. Thank goodness I've had help!

It's amazing the many good times you can fit in even in the midst of a bad phase. I've watched my mom make home made peach cobbler and made mental notes for my future attempts. I spent two priceless days with my 84 year old grandmother who lives in Florida. I watched my kids ride the lawn mower with grandma, a coveted experience. My hubby and Dad spent "man time" together working on the cars, talking computers, and going to the video game store with the Commander.

The kiddos ran around like crazy hooligans on the 4th of July with their cousins. They had way too much sugar and sparklers (a very dangerous combination). They danced in the night, sparklers in hand, spelling their names in the air. They caught baby frogs and 53 fireflies. They were also the recipients of 53 mosquito bites.

Me with Lucy lu lu. I look so serious:)
We sat around, talking and laughing. Baby boss has discovered his favorite toys to be lids and pie pans and has learned to crawl (albeit a gimpy kind of crawl). I've held two, tiny, miraculous baby girls, and bought Amish jam in the middle of nowhere.

Sassafras with Lucy loodle noodle (Violet is not out of the hospital yet
so we couldn't hold her, but she's doing really well!).

I've also had the help of my amazing mother, father, hubby, and sisters.

Sometimes the foggy haze of exhaustion causes me to focus on only the bad, but the good thing about a bad phase is...it's just that...a phase and things are looking up.

Share/Bookmark

2 comments:

  1. Despite it all, you and you're family have been a joy to have around. I saw some of the old Funny Jo today and savored it. By the way, after her birthday, Grandma is now 85!

    ReplyDelete
  2. just found your blog. way to share you story. so many struggle and are afraid to share it. you are inspiring many. may today be a good day :) www.wiveshelpingwives.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Theme created by PIXELZINE