COURAGE AND THE PEOPLE WHO HAVE IT

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

I've been thinking about the word courage a lot lately. I'm not sure why it's been coming to mind so much, but there must be a reason I'm mentally stumbling across it time and again. Whatever the reason, it has caused me to think about what courage is, who has it, and how to obtain it. 


Courage (noun)- The quality of mind or spirit that enables a person to face difficulty, danger, pain etc., with out fear; bravery.

Synonyms- Fearlessness, dauntlessness, intrepidity, pluck, spirit. 


Do you think you are a courageous person? Have you ever had to have courage? I think the term courage stirs up images of David and Goliath like situations; physically scary situations faced by a hero, if you will. But, if you think about it, these heroes are often ordinary people who had great faith, perseverance, pluck, spirit, or all of the above. And I'd have to disagree slightly with the above definition of courage...the "with out fear" part. I believe courage and bravery are facing difficulty, danger, pain, etc. in spite of fear or by over coming it.


I would bet each of you have been courageous at one time or another. Each of us have had to face difficulty, danger, or pain at some point. Being courageous is over coming the fear or intimidation of these challenges, and tackling them, because you know the result will be worth it. 


I absolutely LOVE that the dictionary included the word "dauntlessness" as a synonym to courage. If something is daunting, it seems overwhelming or intimidating. Like a task you feel is too big for your abilities. Dauntlessness infers that you believe in yourself enough to persevere through challenges no matter how intimidating they feel. 


I believe we have opportunities to be courageous each day. Sometimes we are thrust into situations where we are forced to show courage, but some of the most courageous opportunities we have are ones we create for ourselves. When we choose to conquer personal battles that we've been avoiding, etc.


It takes great courage to try, try again!
Sometimes it takes courage to not eat those Little Debbie snack cakes (Oooh that's painful), to push yourself to work out harder, to have a long over due conversation with a loved one, to forgive, to stand up for yourself or others, to try a new career, go back to school, give up a bad habit...or two....or ten...


I have so many friends and family members who are amazing examples of courage. This week I want to share a few of their stories (Check back each day for a new guest blogger:). They are mostly mothers who have over come trials and demonstrate great perseverance and talent in the midst of it. They will be great examples for all of us as we start this new year. 


I hope you can relate to them, learn from them, be inspired by them and take courage from them...I know I do.

Share/Bookmark

1 comment:

  1. This is a really lovely post,
    Thank you for the reminder and the challenge too!
    I've just started a new job after 2 years volunteering overseas. It's proving scary but I'm going to take your advice!
    Take care,
    www.thinking-about-leaving.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Theme created by PIXELZINE