POSTPARTUM UP CLOSE AND PERSONAL

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Kami with her husband Brian and son Brady.
I have a friend who is like the energizer bunny. Just reading her schedule via facebook status wears me out and inspires me all at the same time. She is a special education teacher for young children, a wife, a first time mother of baby Brady, a life and fitness coach, and a fitness fanatic. She is organized, hard working, energetic, loving, and she had postpartum depression.

It can be hard to admit you've struggled with depression, let alone share your story on a friend's blog. But, true to her courageous personality, that's what she's done.

Here is her story and in it you'll see that postpartum depression can be over come. 

Depression hurts. FIND help. Get BETTER.

A new mom with a beautiful baby boy is sitting at home trying to take care of her newborn, the house, her husband, and herself. But she can’t. Instead she’s staring at the floor, taking deep breaths, and trying to keep from falling apart. Something is wrong but she doesn’t know what and she doesn’t know how to fix it. She doesn’t feel like herself at all, she feels like she’s going to go crazy and can’t keep her thoughts straight. She can’t even focus long enough to fix herself something to eat. In fact, she can’t eat anything at all. She’s heard of the “baby blues” before and postpartum depression, could this be what is making her feel like she is going insane? She waits to see if it passes, but it does not. She grabs her car keys and the diaper bag, and waits. It still does not pass. She takes a deep breath and does one of the bravest things she’s ever done in her life: drives to the emergency room and asks for help.

Someone right now is going through this very same scenario that I went through this past spring. I am a 29 year old mother of a beautiful baby boy who is now 10 months old. One month after my son was born I was diagnosed with postpartum depression. I am honored to be guest blogging for my good friend Jody, not only because she is an amazing person, but because her blog helped me get through one of the toughest times in my life. I can count on one hand how many people I have shared my story with, so this is a difficult story for me to tell, but one I feel is very important to share. I decided to share my story because I am hoping to help someone in need as I was helped by Jody’s blog last spring. There are so many people out there who have suffered through postpartum depression (PPD) and felt so alone. Well I am here to tell you that you are NOT alone. According to a recent Center for Disease Control (CDC) survey, 11% to 18% of women reported having frequent postpartum depressive symptoms- and that is just what has been reported and diagnosed.

“Postpartum depression isn’t a character flaw or weakness”, states The Mayo Clinic. Their website explains that it is just a complication of giving birth. Don't feel ashamed or guilty if you experience PPD. There are many contributing factors such as changes in your brain chemistry, hormone levels and lifestyle- and none of them are your fault. The way that I look at it is that for 9 months your body and hormones are changing to accommodate your growing bundle of joy. Then after birth your body is trying to get back to “status quo” in a few weeks. It is a lot that we go through, and frankly, our hormones are all out of wack and your body is just trying to get back to normal. I honestly did not feel 100% again until about 7 months after giving birth.

So do you think you might have PPD? You may have PPD if you have some of the following symptoms 1-6 months after giving birth:
·         Depressed mood-tearfulness, hopelessness, and feeling empty inside, with or without severe anxiety.
·         Loss of pleasure in either all or almost all of your daily activities.
·         Appetite and weight change-usually a drop in appetite and weight but sometimes the opposite.
·         Noticeable change in how you walk and talk-usually restlessness, but sometimes sluggishness.
·         Extreme fatigue or loss of energy.
·         Feelings of worthlessness or guilt, with no reasonable cause.
·         Difficulty concentrating and making decisions.
·         Trouble sleeping when your baby sleeps (more than the lack of sleep new moms usually get).Feeling numb or disconnected from your baby.
·         Having scary or negative thoughts about the baby, like thinking someone will take your baby away or hurt your baby.
·         Worrying that you will hurt the baby.
·         Feeling guilty about not being a good mom, or ashamed that you cannot care for your baby.
For many of us women we have a hard time admitting that we need help or that something is wrong. We wear so many hats and are multi-taskers. We are the glue that holds our families together, so to admit that we need someone to help patch us back together can be difficult. But together, we can do this. YOU can do this. I have put together six ways to help get you back to your old self again.

1)      Take a deep breath. GO GET HELP.
2)      Tell your loved ones that you need help and educate them on PPD.
3)      Shower. Brush your teeth. Get dressed.
4)      EXERCISE and EAT HEALTHY.
5)      Get out of the house!
6)      REST.

Number one: get help. At the ER, my nurse was fabulous. She was encouraging and congratulated me for getting help. When I got home from the ER, I waited for my husband to get home so I could tell him of my diagnosis. I explained at length about PPD and how I was feeling and that I loved him and our son more than anything, but my body and hormones were out of wack and trying to get back to normal. He was absolutely wonderful and supportive and I needed that.

Together we came up with a plan and I needed him to help me and encourage me to do these things each day when I would feel like doing otherwise. I explained to him that it would be very important for me to shower and get dressed each day as if I was going to work or out in public (which means doing my hair, make up, etc.) even if I was just staying home all day. I also explained that I would need to take time for myself to go to the gym. I already had a very strong support system of friends at the gym and I would need not only them, but my exercise regimen to get healthy again. This would mean that we would have to schedule and come up with a plan on the days and times I would work out and have someone watch my son Brady so I could do this, and have a little break of my own. I started going back to Turbo Kick classes during the evenings when my husband Brian could watch Brady. This was a HUGE step and I feel made all the difference in my recovery.
I feel that EXERCISE was the MOST important part of getting back to feeling like ME. I say this because not only does exercise release all those good feeling endorphins but I was also getting back my pre-baby body which helps to increase self image and esteem.

I also needed to make sure we were eating healthy every day, which we would usually do, but with my PPD many days I didn’t feel like eating at all and would have to force food down. I remember one of the first things I had to eat in a few days was a chicken sandwich at the zoo, and I could hardly eat it but felt much better after forcing it down. Eating anything was going to be a struggle, so I would have to make sure that when I did eat that it was something healthy. I started back to drinking protein shakes (Shakeology) each day to ensure I was getting the proper nutrition my body needed.

Another important step is GETTING out of the house. Find other moms, or friends who want to see your new little bundle of joy. I know it’s hard to get the baby ready and out the door, but DO IT. It’s easy to have others come to you, but don’t do it! Go to them! Meet them for lunch, at a park, go to the zoo, to the mall (buy yourself something!) and try to plan to get out each day- if not each day, every other day. You could incorporate the things you love such as reading, writing, cooking, painting, etc.- maybe you could just go to the bookstore and browse through books.

And ofcourse, rest. Go to bed at a decent time, that means, turn OFF the TV, maybe read that book you picked up while you were out and about. Wind down before you go to bed, it will help you fall asleep and get a good night’s rest.

All of this will take some planning, so enlist some help from your significant other, a friend or a family member. You will need support, and if someone is not being supportive, get rid of that person or limit your contact with them. You will need your best troops on your side. You will need to plan your workouts, your meals, your “me” time, your play dates and lunch dates, so invest in a calendar and put it on your refrigerator so everyone can see it and add to it when needed.

With in 2 months after having my son I was weaned off of my medication, and was feeling MUCH more like myself and back to “normal”. I can honestly say I did not feel 100% better until about 7 months after giving birth. I got help, I got support, I made a plan, and I got better. If you think you have PPD, get help, get support, make a plan and you WILL get through this.

Postpartum depression (PPD) resources:

For more information on health, fitness, Turbo Kick & Shakeology:
www.beachbodycoach.com/CoachKami

Find me on Facebook:
Kami E. Blakeman OR
Kami Blakeman (FitMomma)

Share/Bookmark

2 comments:

  1. Thank you Jody for helping me get through this tough time in my life and encouraging me to share my story. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nếu như bệnh nhân bị viêm gan B nặng thì có thể xuất hiện sốt kéo dài, sốt thất thường vào buổi chiều. Chính là do chứng chất độc bên trong dồn vào máu hoặc phòng khám đa khoa âu á

    Đến khi tôi tìm hiểu có phương pháp gắn bi vào dương vật nam nên tôi quyết định thực hiện. Qủa thực hiệu quả rất bất ngờ, dương vật của tôi không chỉ lớn hơn, khi giao hợp cảm giác rất lạ, rất kích thích. gắn bi vào dương vật tốt nhất ở tphcm bao nhiêu tiền ở tphcm
    Tiểu phẫu gắn bi vào dương vật hay các nam giới có lối nói “bơn đùa” với nhau là gắn bi vào chim tuy là một tiểu phẫu đơn giản quy trình gắn bi dương vật như thế nào bao nhiêu tiền ở tphcm
    Bi gắn vào dương vật là bi y tế đảm bảo tính an toàn tuyệt đối. Sau gắn bi vào của quý, nếu nam giới không có nhu cầu nữa thì có thể quay lại phòng khám để được tháo bi một cách dễ dàng hình ảnh dương vật gắn bi bao nhiêu tiền ở tphcm
    ắn bi sắt vào dương vật hết bao nhiêu tiền tại tphcm ! gắn bi giúp cho nam giới tự tin hơn khi quan hệ và đạt được nhiều khoái cảm cho bạn tình. cách gắn bi vào của quýt an toàn thẩm mỹ tại phòng khám đa khoa âu á bao nhiêu tiền ở tphcm

    Bệnh mụn cóc ở tay rất dễ nhận biết được qua những biểu hiện điển hình như: Trên da nổi những sẩn màu vàng đục hoặc khớp với màu da, có kích thước nhỏ bằng hạt đậu. cách trị mục cóc ở tay

    ReplyDelete

Theme created by PIXELZINE